The Sybyl Award
The SYBYL Award was created in 2008 to honor the life of Sybyl M. Atwood, who served as the Program Director for Volunteer and Information Services at Resource Genesee and its predecessor organizations for more than 40 years.
Sybyl’s sense of community and her boundless energy influenced and strengthened the entire human service sector of Genesee County for over four decades. Sybyl embraced the concept that — through volunteerism and deeply felt civic engagement — a better future for all is within reach. Central to her work was the development and mentoring of others so that they might fulfill their personal aspirations and optimize their own capacities to make this a better world.
The SYBYL Award is designed to highlight Sybyl’s many remarkable attributes and to annually acknowledge someone (or sometimes more than one person) in our community who exemplifies Sybyl’s energy, outlook, passion for social and economic justice, and dedication to helping others.
Requirements FOR THE SYBYL AWARD Application:
The man or woman who receives the SYBYL Award must meet each of the following criteria:
- Demonstrates leadership through excellence, creativity, and commitment, exemplified in their profession, civic engagement, and/or volunteer efforts
- Provides valuable service to improve the quality of life for others, especially for individuals who are marginalized in our society
- Possesses a history of connecting people with community resources, either for helping themselves or others
- Builds a stronger community by creating and nurturing new connections among diverse individuals and groups of people
- Mentors and inspires others to realize their own potential to make a difference
- Resides and work/volunteer in Genesee County
Nominations for the SYBYL Award must be submitted by Friday, October 12, 2018. You may include up to three additional pages of supporting documents (e.g. additional essay, nominee résumé, newspaper articles, etc.). Note: Supporting documents will not be returned, so please submit copies only.
Sybyl Award Selection Committee c/o Lindsey Younger
13029 Harbor Landings Drive
Fenton, MI 48430
If you are doing it via email then you must download the application here.
The SYBYL Award Selection Committee will review the nominations and make awarding decisions. The selected recipient will be announced at the SYBYL Awards Program.